Get Ready to Vote!
Find Out Where to Vote Early Today!
Voting in Minnesota
Register to Vote
Before you can vote, you must register. In Minnesota, you may register at least 20 days before Election day or on Election Day at your polling place.
- Register Online
- Download a Paper Application (Multiple Languages Available)
- Election Day Registration Information
To vote in Minnesota you must be:
• A U.S. citizen
• At least 18 years old on Election Day
*To pre-register to vote at age 17 in Minnesota, you must be at least 18 years old when the next election occurs (special, township, state primary, or state general). Because special elections can be called at unexpected times, your application may be returned if an election becomes scheduled between the date you register and your birthday. If that happens, simply wait until that election passes, and submit your registration again.
• A resident of Minnesota for 20 days
• Finished with all parts of any felony sentence
• You can vote while under guardianship unless a judge specifically has revoked your right to vote
• You cannot vote if a court has ruled that you are legally incompetent.
More Information on Voting Eligibility
All voters in Minnesota can vote early before Election Day. In Minnesota, you can vote early starting 46 days before Election Day either by mail or in-person. You can request a mail-in ballot online. Read about other options and more information about absentee voting at the links below.
For more information on early voting click here.
Frequently Asked Questions About Voting
If you’ve got questions about voting, we have answers! We have prepared the following frequently asked questions documents to serve as resources for voters throughout Minnesota.
- What is Voter Protection
- New Voters
- Know Your Rights
- Agent Delivery
- Accessible Voting
- College Student
- Overseas and Military
- Formerly Incarcerated
- Transgender Voting Rights
- Voting Equipment
- Voting While Unhoused
- Voting While Hospitalized or While in a Nursing Home
Election Day Voting
All eligible voters in Minnesota are able to vote on Election Day. In Minnesota, you can register or update your registration at your polling place on Election Day. Find out what you’ll need to bring with you. Find where you vote, what times polls are open and why polling places sometimes change: