Back to Press Section
DFL Party Statement On Paul Gazelka's Run For Governor
At every turn, Gazelka has put his political agenda over working people in Minnesota
Today, DFL Party Chairman Ken Martin released the following statement in response to Paul Gazelka’s announcement of his candidacy for governor of Minnesota:
“At a time when Minnesotans need their elected leaders to look out for them, Senator Paul Gazelka has put his political agenda over the health and safety of Minnesotans. Gazelka repeatedly spread dangerous misinformation throughout the pandemic and misled the public about the state of COVID-19 at virtually every turn. His decision to hold a maskless superspreader event led to a COVID-19 outbreak among lawmakers and Senator Jerry Relph died from COVID-19 complications following the event.
“While in office, Paul Gazelka attacked voting rights, worked to limit access to health care, blocked meaningful criminal justice reform, and refused to call for the resignation of Minnesota GOP Chairwoman Jennifer Carnahan after countless reports of her abusive leadership came to light. The last thing Minnesotans need is someone who prioritizes their own political interests over the working people of this state.”
- Gazelka held a 100+ person, maskless dinner for Senate Republicans, resulting in a COVID-19 outbreak. As the virus spread, Senate GOP refused to notify their DFL colleagues and the day before Sen. Jerry Relph passed away, Gazelka held a press event to call for an end to restrictions for restaurants.
- Gazelka supports the repeal of the ACA, which would jeopardize the health care of over 2 million Minnesotans with pre-existing conditions.
- Gazelka pushed to limit access to the ballot; he co-sponsored a voter ID bill and advanced legislation to restrict same-day voter registration to perpetuate election fraud conspiracies in the wake of the 2020 election.
- Gazelka refused to hold a single hearing on police reform following the killing of Daunte Wright, instead, standing in the way of progress while Black Minnesotans suffer tragic outcomes at the hands of police officers.
- Gazelka tried unsuccessfully to stop Governor Walz’s “Clean Cars” emission standards initiative and even went so far as to force the resignation of Laura Bishop, the Commissioner of the Pollution Control Agency.
- Gazelka “promised to stand in the way of any new gun restrictions” and blocked a pair of widely supported and common-sense gun safety bills.
- Gazelka proposed dangerous legislation to allow businesses to discriminate against same-sex couples, was the lead author on an unsuccessful amendment to ban gay marriage in the state’s constitution and blocked a conversion therapy ban in the Senate.