Back to Press Section
DFL Party Statement on Anti-Choice Extremist Tad Jude’s Run for Attorney General
DFL Party Chairman Ken Martin released the following statement in response to Tad Jude’s announced run for Attorney General:
“Tad Jude is a far-right extremist who wants to ban and criminalize virtually all abortion, even in cases of sexual assault. Jude also wants to force police officers to investigate women who make the difficult and personal medical decision to have an abortion. Pulling police off the street and using them to investigate women’s private medical decisions is cruel, barbaric, and would make our communities less safe.
“With the U.S. Supreme Court poised to eliminate protections for reproductive health care, Tad Jude’s election as Attorney General would be a threat to women across Minnesota and risk sending our state back to the dark ages.”
- Tad Jude supports overturning Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court case that affirmed the pregnant people’s right to have an abortion without excessive government intervention.
- Jude wants to criminalize virtually all abortion, even in cases of rape or incest where a police report is not filed within 48 hours of the crime taking place.
- Jude proposed legislation that would direct law enforcement agencies to investigate people who have an abortion.
- When Jude was a Hennepin County Commissioner, he led a successful effort to eliminate health insurance coverage for abortion services for county employees.
- Jude also voted against funding comprehensive and medically sound family planning services for poor women in Hennepin County. Jude instead opted to fund “natural family planning” services.