The Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor (DFL) Party is hiring two full-time Rural Organizers for the 2021-2022 election cycle. The Rural Organizers will report to the Rural Organizing Director with a start date of October 18, 2021. This position is based in rural Minnesota.
The Rural Organizers will work closely with grassroots community leaders, local elected officials, and partner organizations to empower, engage and mobilize rural Democrats in the 2022 election. The ideal candidate will be an innovative thinker with deep ties to Minnesota’s rural communities and experience organizing in an electoral context.
- Implement a voter contact program with concrete metrics for success with the goal of increasing voter participation in the 2022 election and beyond
- Recruit, train, manage and support a team of volunteers.
- On a weekly basis, recruiting volunteers will mean organizers will be tasked with making hundreds of phone calls
- Plan, lead and execute grassroots activities for volunteers such as door canvasses, apartment door knocks, friend to friend calling/texting programs, and phone banks
- On a weekly basis, organizers and the volunteers they recruit will have progressing goals of how many doors knocked and phone calls made.
- Build relationships with existing volunteers and DFL endorsed candidates/elected officials to join forces in executing voter contact.
- Additional duties as assigned by Supervisor, Coordinated Campaign Director, Executive Director, or DFL Chair
- Experience organizing in or deep ties to one of the following locations:
- Southern MN (Mankato or Rochester preferred)
- Northern/Central MN (Moorhead, Bemidji, St. Cloud, or Iron Range preferred)
- Demonstrated commitment to electing DFL candidates up and down the ballot
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle
- Ability to work remotely with access to internet, and work long or irregular hours
Preferred but not required:
- Knowledge and experience using Votebuilder (VAN)
- Experience with relational organizing tools or programs such as Outreach Circle or Team
- Experience remotely supervising staff or volunteers
Compensation: Salary $3,500-$4,000/month, pending cycles of experience. Employees of the DFL are paid on a bi-weekly basis and receive a competitive benefits package including health care and dental.
To Apply: Send a one-page cover letter, resume, and 3 references to Alyse Maye Quade at email@example.com with the subject line “Rural Organizer Position” and include whether you are interested in the Northern/Central or Southern position.
Application Deadline: 11:59pm, September 27th, 2021
While many meetings and events can still happen virtually or over the phone, organizers will be expected to work in-person, within reason and with safety precautions in place, at events in the community. This means that the prospective staff will need to live in the turf that they are applying for. With offices across rural MN, this position will be based out of the closest local office.
Diversity and Inclusion:
The Minnesota DFL is an equal-opportunity employer. The DFL Party is committed to including groups historically underrepresented due to race/ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or ability. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Voluntary Self-Identification Information (OPTIONAL)
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential.
Select one or more groups that fit your identity:
Hispanic or Latino
Person with Disability
White or Caucasian