The Minnesota DFL Party is now accepting applications for the following job. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, list of references, and a Voluntary Self-Identification form (Optional) by email to:
Heidi Kraus Kaplan
Open Date: May 11, 2021
Application Deadline: June 8, 2021
Start Date: July 1, 2021
Title: Finance Director
Status: Full-time employment
Minimum Qualifications: An applicant must have at least these qualifications and, except in an extraordinary case, will not be considered without them:
- Strong commitment to electing Democrats.
- At least 2 cycles of political fundraising experience or 5-10 years political experience.
- Exemplary time management, planning, and organizational skills.
- Detail-oriented and able to prioritize and manage multiple projects and staff.
- Experience with NGP and other campaign and finance databases.
- Must have a car, car insurance, and driver’s license (position will require travel around the state).
- An understanding of federal and/or state election and campaign finance law.
Preferred Qualifications: These additional qualifications, while not absolutely essential, are highly preferred, and will significantly bolster an application:
- Experience in and knowledge of the political landscape and key people/organizations in Minnesota.
- Understanding of and experience with digital fundraising tools (ActBlue, Broadcast SMS, Facebook ads, etc)
- Experience managing paid staff, interns, and volunteers.
Organization: The Finance Director leads the Finance department, and reports to the Executive Director (and, through the Executive Director, to the State Chair).
Duties: The Finance Director will
- Create and put into action a short and long term fundraising plan for the Party that encourages development of new revenue streams while maintaining current programs.
- Work with the Executive Director in developing programming budgets for the Party.
- Manage finance databases while also conducting research on current and potential contributors, and prospect for new donors.
- Staff and work directly with the Chair and Executive Director on all fundraising activities including call time and events.
- Be a resource for party officials, party staff, legislators, and candidates.
- Work with compliance staff to ensure accuracy on all FEC reports and appropriately solicit, track, and report campaign finance contributions and expenditures.
- Plan, schedule, and manage small-and large-scale fundraising events.
- Hire, train, and manage finance staff, performing reviews and encouraging staff development, as well as reviewing staff functions and restructuring job responsibilities, if necessary.
- Conducting accurate and timely donor follow up and acknowledgement.
- Manage a robust direct mail program in coordination with the finance consultant and compliance staff.
- Coordinate with digital consultants to raise online contributions through innovative direct email solicitations, acquisition ads, and SMS-based fundraising campaigns.
- Schedule meetings, arrange briefings, and nurture relationships with stakeholders, individual contributors, labor organizations, business groups, issue advocacy groups, party leaders, elected officials, and candidate campaigns.
- Oversee the DFL webstore and promotion of merchandise through online advertising and email campaigns.
- Work with the Executive Director to manage auxiliary fundraising programs, including Dollars for Democrats and DNC Victory Fund.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, with initial salary band of $55,000-$75,000. Employees of the DFL are paid on a bi-weekly basis and receive a competitive benefits package including health care and dental.
Voluntary Self-Identification Information
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential. Please select one or more groups that fit your identity:
- African American/Black
- Asian/Pacific American
- Hispanic or Latino
- Native American
- Person with Disability
- White or Caucasian