DFL Coalitions Director
Full Time Election Cycle
- Design and implement a relational organizing voter contact program with concrete metrics for success with the goal of increasing DFL voter participation in underrepresented communities in MN in 2022 and beyond.
- Pursue opportunities in local elections in 2021 that will help us continue to build relationships and organize even in the off year of 2021.
- Identify and partner with grasstops leaders and organizations across the state to build collective energy around electing Democrats.
- Collaborate with labor partners, elevating the voices of underrepresented communities
- Identify and train grassroots leaders that can assemble teams and/or coalitions that will build towards the election in 2022 — this means doing direct voter outreach like knocking on doors, making phone calls, and building friend to friend outreach programs across various coalitions.
- Organize DFL visibility and political events that will continue to elevate the DFL’s presence
- Other duties as assigned by leadership of the DFL.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to use grassroots organizing to build community, develop leadership, and contest for power with leaders who are most impacted by inequity. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with volunteer leaders over multiple years.
- At least 3 years of community organizing experience.
- Stellar personal organization skills and attention to detail. If your calendar is always up-to-date and your notes are color-coded, we want to talk to you! There’s a lot to keep track of in this role and nothing can fall through the cracks.
- Strong public speaking, written and verbal communication, and group facilitation skills. Staff often present to groups, facilitate strategy sessions, lead workshops and trainings, write up stories about local organizing and action opportunities in email newsletters to our members, and start challenging conversations with our member groups.
- Resourceful. A successful Coalitions Director would be able identify opportunities and resources to best support our members, isn’t afraid to ask for help, and enjoys building relationships with unsuspecting allies.
- Skills and experience proactively setting priorities and goals, self-managing, problem-solving, and working independently to achieve shared organizational goals. Proven ability to complete high-quality work on shared timelines and operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Confidence using VAN (Voter Activation Network), word processing, spreadsheet, and Google Suite applications.
- Demonstrated commitment to electing Democrats up and down the ballot.
- Must be able to drive.
This is a mid-level position reporting to the DFL’s Political Director.
This position will be remote, and will organize virtually while the pandemic prohibits in-person work. When it is safe to go back into offices, we will ask staff to work out of the DFL Headquarters in St. Paul. This position lasts through November 18, 2022. Frequent in-state travel and long hours will be required. The Coalition Director must have a valid driver’s license and reliable access to a car.
The salary range for this position is between $42,000 and – $65,000 annually with full health benefits, a 401K, and four weeks of vacation annually.
To apply please send a resume, one-page cover letter and 3-4 references to Alyse Maye Quade at email@example.com by 5pm on January 8th. Please put “Coalition Director” in your subject line.
Diversity and Inclusion: The Minnesota DFL is an equal-opportunity employer. The DFL Party is committed to including groups historically underrepresented due to race/ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or ability. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Voluntary Self-Identification Information (OPTIONAL)
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential.
Select one or more groups that fit your identity:
Hispanic or Latino
Person with Disability
White or Caucasian