Coordinated Community Engagement Director
The Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor (DFL) Party is hiring full-time Community Engagement Directors for the 2022 cycle. This is a mid level position for those interested in an organizing position focused on specific constituencies. Community Engagement Directors will report directly to the Coalitions Director. Positions will be based in field offices throughout the state.
- African American
- Plan, lead and execute grassroots field activities for volunteers such as phone banks and canvasses (door knocks).
- Build partnerships and maintain relationships with allied organizations and community leaders.
- Recruit, train, manage and support a team of volunteers and staff.
- Serve as the local representative for the DFL within the community you are assigned.
- Help grow the local volunteer infrastructure.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor, Coordinated Campaign leadership, Executive Director, or Chair.
- Meet or exceed metric based goals for volunteer recruitment & retention as well as mobilizing Democrats.
- Demonstrated ability to meet and exceed goals.
- Demonstrated commitment to electing DFL candidates up and down the ballot.
- Ability to work both diligently and independently as needed.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle.
- Ability to work long or irregular hours.
- Proficiency in VoteBuilder (VAN), Google Docs, and Excel.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Support the DFL’s goal to elect more Democrats up and down the ticket, including re-electing our constitutional officers, maintaining a majority in the Minnesota House, winning back a majority in the Minnesota Senate, and sending more Democrats to Congress.
Preferred but not required:
- Minnesota experience or ties to the state.
- Experience working in the region you are applying for.
- Experience working on a successful campaign.
COVID Addendum: While many meetings and events can still happen virtually or over the phone, organizers will be expected to work in-person, within reason and with safety precautions in place, at events in the community. This means that the prospective staff will need to live in the turf that they are applying for.
Compensation: This position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement between the Minnesota DFL Party and IBEW Local 292. Salary is $4,750/month. Employees of the DFL are paid on a bi-weekly basis and receive a competitive benefits package including health care and dental.
To Apply: Send a one-page cover letter and resume to Enid Swaggert, at [email protected] with the email subject line “Community Engagement Director:_____”
Diversity and Inclusion: The Minnesota DFL is an equal-opportunity employer. The DFL Party is committed to including groups historically underrepresented due to race/ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or ability. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Voluntary Self-Identification Information (OPTIONAL)
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential.
Select one or more groups that fit your identity:
Hispanic or Latino
Person with Disability
White or Caucasian