Coordinated African American Community Organizer
The Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor (DFL) Party is hiring full-time African American Community Organizers for the 2022 election cycle. The African American Community Organizers will report to the African American Community Engagement Director. This position is based in Minnesota.
The African American Community Organizers will work closely within the community to engage and mobilize voters in the 2022 election. The ideal candidate will be an innovative thinker with deep ties to the communities they will be organizing in, and experience organizing in an electoral context.
- Implement a voter contact program with concrete metrics for success with the goal of increasing voter participation in the 2022 election and beyond
- Recruit, train, manage and support a team of volunteers.
- On a weekly basis, recruiting volunteers will mean organizers will be tasked with making hundreds of phone calls
- Plan, lead and execute grassroots activities for volunteers such as door canvasses, apartment door knocks, friend to friend calling/texting programs, and phone banks
- On a weekly basis, organizers and the volunteers they recruit will have progressing goals of how many doors knocked and phone calls made.
- Build relationships with existing volunteers and DFL endorsed candidates/elected officials to join forces in executing voter contact.
- Additional duties as assigned by Supervisor, Coordinated Campaign Director, Executive Director, or DFL Chair
- Experience organizing in or deep ties to African American community
- Ability to work long or irregular hours
- Valid drivers’ license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Support the DFL’s goal to elect more Democrats up and down the ticket, including re-electing our constitutional officers, maintaining a majority in the Minnesota House, winning back a majority in the Minnesota Senate, and sending more Democrats to Congress.
Preferred but not required:
- Knowledge and experience using Votebuilder (VAN)
- Experience with relational organizing tools or programs such as Outreach Circle or Team
- Experience supervising staff or volunteers
Compensation: This position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement between the Minnesota DFL Party and IBEW Local 292. Compensation is a $15 base hourly rate with overtime at 1.5 times the hourly rate above 40 hours in a week. Equivalent salary is $4,062.50/month for a 55 hour work week. Employees of the DFL are paid on a bi-weekly basis and receive a competitive benefits package including health care and dental.
To Apply: Send a one-page cover letter and resume to Enid Swaggert at [email protected] with the subject line “African American Community Organizer Position”.
While many meetings and events can still happen virtually or over the phone, organizers will be expected to work in-person, within reason and with safety precautions in place, at events in the community. This means that the prospective staff will need to live in the turf that they are applying for.
Diversity and Inclusion:
The Minnesota DFL is an equal-opportunity employer. The DFL Party is committed to including groups historically underrepresented due to race/ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or ability. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Voluntary Self-Identification Information (OPTIONAL)
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential.
Select one or more groups that fit your identity:
Hispanic or Latino
Person with Disability
White or Caucasian